Janis Joplin at Threadgill's

Austin, Texas, US

Janis Joplin at Threadgill's

Tagged by: Tagwhat/Lauren Walter
The Austin music scene found a home in an unlikely place: Kenneth Threadgill's Gulf filling station outside of the city limits way back in 1933. The place really gained its rep as a music joint when the folk club was displaced from the University and reformed at Threadgill's place. Even with the mishmash of patrons- hippies, yuppies, rednecks, coeds- Threadgill always kept a peaceful place.

It was here that Janis Joplin learned to belt out the blues. Just at the peak of the "Cosmic Cowboy" era Threadgill retired and shut the place down. Not willing to give up the legend, Eddie Wilson, who had just shut down the Armadillo World Head Quarters, reopened the place in 1981 as a restaurant. The original building burned in '82, but came back bigger and better and sprouted a sister location, Threadgill's World Headquarters.